Made in Japan
Frame & Fork: Tange Prestige
Groupset: Shimano 105 (1055)
Stem & Bars: Nitto Olympiade bars & Nitto Technomic stem
Wheelset: Matrix ISO C-II rims on Shimano 105 hubs and Maxxis Detonator 700x28c tires
Centurion made some great bikes with nice groupsets and Tange Infinity tubing. They also came with what I always thought were terrible graphics and paint. So, when I saw this ugly beat up bike on Facebook Marketplace I thought, "Hey. Those are nice bones with a great groupset. Looks like the perfect opportunity to try my hand at painting a bike."
Wow! It was so much fun rebuilding this bike! The frame was in terrible condition on the outside. The paint was destroyed. There was rust all over it. When I took it apart however, the inside of the tubes was mint.
I had so much fun painting this bike. I made a few mistakes but they weren't severe and I learned so much. I sanded and stripped all the paint from the frame and fork and removed all the rust. I used the PPG Shopline automotive paint system. All the white 'decals' are actually paint. First, the frame was primed, then the areas with white logos were painted white. I created the decals in Photoshop and cut out vinyl decals with a Cricut. The decals were placed on the white paint and then the blue was painted. After that, the decals were removed, revealing the white underneath. I mixed too much clear coat so this bike received four coats of clear. I was very happy with the results. There were a few runs but nothing too bad. As well, I stupidly placed the Infinity tubing decal in the wrong place and had to cover half of it with the front derailleur. I won't make that mistake again!
The spokes on the wheelset that came on the bike were quite corroded but luckily I found this nice Matrix wheelset that coincidentally already had the Shimano 105-1055 hubs. The shifters and brake levers on the bike were in really bad shape but I luckily found NOS ones on Marketplace. The cranks were in such bad condition with grooves and nicks that I had to file out all the rough spots and then polish them back to a nice shine. In the end, they turned out beautiful. I also had to replace the original handlebars and stem. The bars were steel and rusted beyond repair and the stem was also in pretty rough shape. Luckily, I found this really nice Nitto combo. There ended up being a lot of 'new' on this bike. It has new bar tape, brake levers, shift levers, chain, seat, cables and housing. It has nearly new wheels and tires.